Kickstart your PhD with joy, clarity and ease
This workshop is best suited for first-year PhD students who have just started their programme.
This session aims to address the importance of wellbeing and wellness early on in the research journey, and offers insights into the more personal and emotional aspects of doing postgraduate research.
By creating a safe, supported space for discussing these early concerns, and by answering common and frequently asked questions among new starters, this workshop offers realistic, ‘insider’ perspectives about the challenges and pleasures that PGRs can expect. The session will simultaneously furnish participants with positive practices to begin their research programme with greater joy, clarity and ease.
This workshop will cover four main subjects:
- Creating and sustaining a support system and academic community
- Finding your best work groove and peaceful, practical time management
- Academic identity, passion, interests and confidence
- What to do if things go wrong and dealing with challenges in the PhD
Although this session includes a teaching component, many small group/pair discussions will be incorporated across the four segments, encouraging participants to network, discuss concerns with peers, and begin to exchange and learn about diverse approaches to conducting research.
By the end of the session, participants will:
- have gained insights into the diverse range of experiences and working practices within the PhD journey
- be equipped with a wider set of tools and perspectives to create positive, peaceful progress and research experiences
- have gained strategies and practices for developing personal and professional skills alongside their PhD and for sustaining a healthy work-life balance
- 2-hour workshop
- Maximum attendance: 30
- This workshop can be conducted in person or online
- If conducted online: the session will include interactive digital elements such as Google Jamboards, Padlets and/or polls.
- All participants will additionally be provided with access to a Padlet of Wellbeing Resources